Re: [LAD] Something like Processing for audio

From: Darren Landrum <darren.landrum@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 04 2008 - 05:34:23 EEST

Sorry I've been away. I've been catching up on homework and trying to
put a preliminary design together. I should probably let this thread
die, but no doubt this subject will just come up again anyway.

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> _From my experience with giving some workshops in this area I believe
> that a growing number of artists is looking for software that allows
> them to build their own specific tools. They are not frightend to learn
> certain algorithms and how to deal with technical issues as long as
> these issues are "art related". They actually like thinking about things
> like DSP algorithms for sound and video, but they don't want to think
> about device drivers and freeing memory (too much).

I think this gets to the heart of the matter quite nicely. The goal is a
system where the programming is focused on the processing and the
synthesis, but a language that actually compiles to standalone
applications. Though I'm not aiming for it to be cross-platform (I don't
have the tools on any other platforms), I don't see why it couldn't be
made so.

At this point, I want to lay out the complete design, then decide what I
want to finish for the 0.1 release and get to work on it.

-- Darren