Re: [LAD] update of jkmeter

From: Joern Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Tue Oct 07 2008 - 16:33:34 EEST

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 01:26:03PM +0200, Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:
>
>> can i humbly request configurable correlation meters for the next
>> release? it would be really useful to have one for each W/X, W/Y and W/Z
>> (for "forwardness", "rightness" and "upness" :)
>
> I don't think it would work as you expect. Correlation is not the
> right thing to find directions, as it is completely independent
> of the relative levels. For example, a single source at 85 degrees
> left sitll indicates +1 for W/X correlation. You'd probably expect
> a large negative 'rightness' and something like 0.1 'forwardness',
> but that would need a different kind of meter.

sorry for being unclear, i was joking with words...

what i'm looking for is exactly the behaviour i get from a stereo
correlation meter (or the W-X one for that matter), where negative means
out-of-phase, zero means mono and positive means stereo'ish.

my intent is to be able to tell at a glance whether a signal has lots of
X, Y, or Z information. for instance, i would expect the Y and Z meters
to linger around 0 for an open-air recording of a single musician at the
same elevation as the microphone. Z would move to 1 when a plane flies
overhead (or a subway rumbles below), and Y would indicate sounds coming
from off the median plane.

regards,

jörn

--
jörn nettingsmeier
home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/