Re: [LAD] [LAU] linuxaudio.org

From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 25 2008 - 13:33:05 EEST

On Sat, 2008-10-25 at 11:40 +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:

> Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote : "We need to start thinking about the function
> of the management board. This aspect has been all but dead. How about we
> announce restructuring of the board and go from there? My suggestion is
> to retain the core of those of us who are most active and then add key
> figures in the community who will be active contributors to our cause."
>
> No surprise there. Further discussion may or may not follow on
> http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/consortium/ - and last but not least:

Seems that belongs on the consortium list and shouldn't be on LAD and
LAU!?

> * http://wiki.linuxaudio.org
> open to public (openID/CAPTCHA)
>
> Everybody is welcome to use this wiki for gnu/Linux and FLOSS audio
> related projects or communication. Feel free to ask for additional
> permissions or plugins. - send your project application or suggestions
> to LAD, start writing a wiki page about it or send a patch ;)

Nice.

> We would like to support maintained and moderated namespaces adopted by
> members of the community; balancing http://linuxaudio.org/members in
> favor of interest groups. We have neither intentions nor budget to take
> on wiki.ubuntu.com or wikipedia. Commercial interest is tolerated.
> Professional interest in linux-audio is more or less a prerequisite. The
> usual exceptions apply for Music, Art, etc. see http://linuxaudio.org/policy

I'm not sure what you are talking about here and highly suspect others
will be even more puzzled. Balancing?

Regarding namespaces (nice example of coder speak not suitable for a
general audience), I see it as a problem that linuxaudio.org web
presence is so fractured already.

> ..and we're not going to stop there.
>
> Here's a quick overview of HTTP services, vhosts and tasks. Any comments
> and suggestions are appreciated; as is help getting there:
>
> * http://lad.linuxaudio.org - will be consolidated into drupal
> (www.linuxaudio.org) and wiki.linuxaudio.org. - Apart from the
> http://lad.linuxaudio.org/events/ (lots of pictures and media) there's
> only 16 HTML pages. - similarly lowlatency.linuxaudio.org should become
> an entry-point to the wiki.
>
> * http://lad.linuxaudio.org/events/ should be merged with
> http://lac.linuxaudio.org

Consider conference.linuxaudio.org or conf.linuxaudio.org. Redundant
redundancy department / cryptic abbrev. ;)

> * http://portal.linuxaudio.org, http://linuxaudio.org,
> http://lac.linuxaudio.org/
> Drupal CMS is edited and maintained by the consortium.

I actually think portal shouldn't exist. Should be just a list of links
reachable from linuxaudio.org . Like it is, but the link name "Portal"
doesn't cut it. Maybe "Ressources"?

> We're urgently looking for 2-5 Content Maintainers (and Guitarists) so
> that some of us can take a holiday break.

I suspect writing a long and partly confusing email while assuming
everyone already knows what this is all about and what you want to
accomplish is not the best way to invite contributors.

> Besides in the longer term we're looking for volunteers to summarize or
> comment on a LAD/LAU thread once in a while, and editors to write short
> articles in the likes of kerneltrap.org.
>

> * http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/ is actually the same as
> http://apps.linuxaudio.org/wiki/ - vhosts will be merged, redirect..

One of the URLs will be dropped? Which one? I though one is an open wiki
for content that is not necessarily tied to single applications and the
other a directory of linux audio applications?

> * http://lau.linuxaudio.org and http://quicktoots.linuxaudio.org/
> probably remain as is. There are a lot of hidden resources there! -
> Maybe some minor updates on the front-page. point to the wiki or portal.

Ah yes, the fragmentation. _Hidden_ resources are great for Indiana
Jones style explorers, I guess? ;)
I would rather drop old material to have a chance of introducing
something structured, where a newcomer would know where to start and had
a chance of finding stuff without using a pit lamp.

--
Thorsten Wilms
thorwil's design for free software: