Re: [LAD] ALSA doumentation

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 16 2008 - 02:46:15 EET

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 02:22:16AM +0200, Hannu Savolainen wrote:

> Right. The driver or the hardware itself can do this transition
> automatically when it's required. The control panel will reflect this
> change in way or another.

The problem is that this also happens when it's not
required, and that the change is permanent.

Just imagine: someone at the other end of the building,
or at the other end of Parma, accidentally disconnects
the MADI signal I'm receiving from him for a second.
The driver / card switches to its internal clock and
does not switch back when the signal is restored. So
it is now permanently misconfigured. And before you
say I'm dreaming: we *do* have optical links running
all over the town, they *can* carry a MADI signal and
they *will* be used to do that.

Do you really expect me or someone else to sit watching
your control panel all day ? Do you have another solution
than an application watching the state of the card, and
restoring it when necessary ?

> Why should any audio application be different?

I have already told you twice before, and a third time
above. So I'm not going to repeat this again. If you
don't want to understand, which seems to be the case,
I'm wasting my time. I *do* understand your arguments,
but they just don't apply in this case - I'm not writing
a desktop MP3 player.

Ciao,

--
FA