Re: [LAD] ALSA doumentation

From: Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 17 2008 - 01:06:00 EET

One question about Hardware Abstraction Layers.

My $3 onboard chip variation of Intel HD Audio supports the opening of 5
independent analog stereo out with individual samplerates and switchable
line/headphone power levels.

It also supports three independent stereo line/instrument/microphone in,
with DC power for microphones if needed.

There is an onboard patchbay where one can route most anything around in
any sick way imaginable ... Not that I would do anything like that :-D,
the ins and outs are labeled as such and I do not mind keeping things on
an understandable level. Apparently the driver even knows the coloration
of individual jacks, which I find as close to magic as to be almost
scary ...

Anyways, the question is, how do I do the following:

Use the three 5.1 stereo jacks out /exclusively/ for my synthesizers.

Use one stereo jack for Lo-Fi desktop beeps and other attention
grabbers, even various sounds and/or music coming from Mozilla plugins.

Use one stereo jack for headphone communication (Ekiga or Skype) as well
as a HiFi version of the Mozilla plugins mixed in.

?