Re: [LAD] ALSA doumentation

From: Fred Gleason <fredg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 17 2008 - 13:42:40 EET

On Sunday 16 November 2008 04:16:19 pm you wrote:
> Programmers are not stupid. However the way how typical sound
> applications are implemented is wrong.

So this is a reason to cripple the API -- because 'typical' application
programmers don't know what they're doing? What about those who *do*?

> Network or disk performance analyzers/monitors/optimizers are good
> tools. They are not "ordinary" applications but system tools.

Whatever the semantic difference between 'applications' and 'system tools'
might be, *both* end up having to interact with the hardware via some sort of
API, so I'm not sure that the distinction is particularly meaningful in this
context.

> However
> it's wrong if programs like Mozilla try to do this kind of functions.
> All a web browser does is opening a TCP/IP socket to the
> http/ftp/whatever server, sends the request and waits for the response.
> Equally well an audio player application should just open a connection
> to the audio device, set the rate/format and then just start to play.
> They should not try to do things like automatic unmuting the sound card.

Right, but I think you're kind of missing the point. We're not talking about
garden variety 'audio player' applications here. The world of audio --
especially professional audio -- is a much larger place. This doesn't make
such applications 'system tools', merely applications that work outside of
the simple assumptions adequate when designing garden-variety 'audio
players'. To hardwire those simple assumptions into the driver system is IMO
a design error, one that imposes serious limits on the usefulness of the
overall system. Effectively, it's dictating policy in a layer that should be
primarily concerned with mechanism.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Chief Developer |
| | Paravel Systems |
| The real problem with hunting elephants is carrying the decoys. |
| -- Anonymous |