Re: [LAD] open source audio transcribing software?

From: Ted Walther <ted@email-addr-hidden-core.org>
Date: Tue Jan 06 2009 - 00:29:03 EET

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 10:01:11PM +0000, Chris Cannam wrote:
>On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 9:35 PM, Ted Walther <ted@email-addr-hidden-core.org> wrote:
>> The features I need in such a program is a way to "remotely" signal
>> to it to pause, rewind five seconds then unpause. A desired feature
>> would be some way to speed up and slow down the audio stream without
>> altering the pitch.
>
>Sonic Visualiser (http://www.sonicvisualiser.org/) can do this with
>remote control via OSC, but (a) its visualisation may be overkill, at
>least if you are transcribing speech rather than music, and (b) setting
>up OSC control for it is a bit of a project in itself.
>
>There is a small program (sv-osc-send) in the data/osc directory of the
>Sonic Visualiser distribution which can be used to send an OSC command
>to any program; there is also a shell script (sv-command) which tries
>to look up the Sonic Visualiser OSC port and send your command to the
>right place; and there is a rather convoluted example remote-demo
>script for SV using OSC -- but none of these are provided with any of
>the SV binary packages, you need the source package or repository
>checkout. Also, for any of this to work, your copy of SV must have
>been built with OSC support in the first place (it is optional).

Thanks Chris. That sounds like overkill. While browsing the web for my
needs, it seems like there is a similar situation with dictation
software. Lots of things that "almost" work as needed for the
application, or that work well but with tremendous overhead.

Ted

--
	   There's a party in your skull.  And you're invited!
Name:    Ted Walther