[LAD] Saving plugin presets

From: Sebastian Moors <mauser@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 17 2009 - 17:39:28 EET

Hi,

i would like to know if somebody has already thought about a (unified)
way to save or export the settings of ladspa plugins (or vst,lv2..)
I'm familiar with the idea of LASH, but i want to share plugin settings
between different sessions. A typical use case:

After recording songs with my drumset, the gate-plugin applied to
basedrum and snare has most times (nearly) the same setting.
At the moment this is a quite painful task: Ardour is able to save the
settings, but you can't export these or exchange them between other
applications.
In addition, ardour's ladspa plugin dialog can just save the settings,
changing an already saved settings is not possible. This results in a
heap of saved settings and old revisions..

It would be great to export these settings, it could be implemented as a
feature in applications like ardour2 ,jackrack or hydrogen.
After exporting the setting to a plain text file (or xml), sharing the
file with other people or between your computer would be no problem.

What are your thoughts on this? What are the disadvantages?

Thanks,
Sebastian