Re: [LAD] Dumb Idea #27: LV2 host as kernel?

From: alex stone <compose59@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 23 2009 - 01:00:02 EET

Ingen works well on my setup, but the idea of adding midi and audio tracks
as 'plugins' sounds rather appealing. (Would be cool to simply add tracks,
and have them autoorganise into a neat arrangement in the GUI. Starting from
the top down?)
Given the multi layer framework of Ingen, i would think there are many
advantages to this.
(Strings on patch layer 1, Woodwinds on patch layer 2, etc..)

Sounds like a worthy direction as a 'complete' modular system too.

Would future Ingen include a LASH component, either working with the current
LASH app, or as 'the' LASH app in its own right, with the ability to save
settings from LASH capable external apps?
Alex.
On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 10:50 PM, David Robillard <dave@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-02-21 at 14:37 -0500, Darren Landrum wrote:
> > If one were to build a "kernel" to a digital audio workstation that was
> > itself a bare-bones LV2 host, could things like audio tracks, midi
> > tracks, and mixer channels and the like be built as LV2 plug-ins?
> >
> > I've been thinking a lot about a comment made a while back about how
> > monolithic applications are very ill-suited to the open-source method of
> > development. So I got to thinking about how an operating system works
> > (at a high level; my meager coding skills are no matches for people
> > well-versed in operating systems) and began to ask some questions.
> >
> > This "kernel" would have to handle things like audio routing, and
> > message passing between two "processes" (the LV2 plug-ins), and would
> > jockey the audio in and out of the plug-in graph. It would need to
> > support the GUI and event extensions, and probably a few others, at the
> > very least.
> >
> > The hope might be that if such a kernel could be made, it might then be
> > a lot easier for many people to contribute the small pieces that would
> > make for a usable application. Please feel free to consider this
> > mindless brainstorming if you'd like.
>
> This is a long term goal of http://drobilla.net/software/ingen
>
> LV2 was a very large step towards achieving it...
>
> GUI is there, events are there, signal flow is there, but having
> "tracks" brings in a whole host of new issues that are not yet there.
>
> ... yet :)
>
> -dr

Parchment Studios (It started as a joke...)