Re: [LAD] exciting news about the realtime kernel tree

From: Hans Fugal <hans@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 27 2009 - 17:24:15 EET

Lars-Erik Helander wrote:
> An interesting/important question though is how many of these 50+
> modules actually contains hw specific adaptions. As an example, for
> audio apps you typically rely on a number of sound ("snd-*") related
> modules of which a fair amount is hardware independent. It is only the
> modules that implement hardware specific adaptions that needs to go
> through the "tedious" identification process.
>
> I guess that the BIOS will leave most hardware components in a state
> where they do not generate "interrupts" unless some kernel or userland
> code explicitly turns this on. If this is true you should probably be
> able to have a working system with a minimum set of modules. Anyone
> that have some experience in creating a system with a minimum set of
> hardware adaption modules? If so, what are the minimum set of hardware
> adaption modules required?
>
> /Lars

Always ALWAYS make sure you have your hard disk and root file system.
(This may seem obvious but going from a distribution's .config to a
hand-rolled kernel with make oldconfig can backfire if you don't also
make an initrd.)

Keyboard and Video also come to mind. Once you have that, you can
recover from a forgotten module by recompiling and rebooting. Obviously
a known-good kernel is good too.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net
    -- Johann Sebastian Bach