Re: [LAD] [LAU] Join the Debian Multimedia Team! (to improve the state of Linux audio)

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Mon Mar 09 2009 - 00:30:26 EET

Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:

> I think these kinds of initiatives are exactly the kind of stuff we would
> like to host under the linuxaudio.org. Ideally, we would like to maintain
> some sense of coherence as far as audio resources are concerned. Hence, if
> interested, it would be nice to establish some sort of bi-lateral
> collaboration and/or online presence.

I'm sorry, but what does linuxaudio.org have to do with this?

The Debian Multimedia team is about packaging audio stuff for Debian.
This effort is to build and maintain Debian packages for Debian
(which will then flow into all the other Debian derived distributions).
It uses the Debian process which exists now and works well. The
Debain process includes a mechanism for veting contributors, providing
access to resources, test building packages across all supported
platforms, and then distributing those packages across the world to
as many people as want them.

To try and replicate a quarter of what Debian provides outside Debian
is huge effort and likely to be a huge waste of time.

Erik