Re: [LAD] Speech noise removal

From: alex stone <compose59@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 09 2009 - 15:03:43 EET

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Olivier Guilyardi <list@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> alex stone wrote:
>
> > If you're intent on automating a speech analysis, voice noise removal
> > device of some sort, then you might do well to start with a 'pre and
> > post' framework. Things like lipsmacking, glottal and nasal noise for
> > the end of phrase, etc, are fairly easy to identify, and generally occur
> > pre and post. So that may well be a decent percentage of any cleanup
> > done quickly. (Dependent of course on language. Cleaning up russian
> > would be a different 'module' to cleaning up French, or Finnish.)
>
> That sounds encouraging. What to you mean by "pre and post" (sorry if
> that's an
> obvious question to you)?
>
> > And maybe there's a coding clue there too. A modular, language centric
> > approach, based on loading a module designed specifically for a
> > particular language and phrasal interpretation. (Module 1 spoken=French,
> > Module 2 sung=French, Module 3 spoken=Finnish, etc....)
>
> I think you're right. There's nothing universal about making noise and
> actually
> meaning something ;)
>

> Olivier

Pre and post meaning the start and finish of a recorded wav or region.
Example being the first few, and the last few, milliseconds or so. Most of
this would be obvious to the ear, so i can imagine a means to edit this
could be mechanised in some way. (Being
careful, of course, not to dehumanise the original recording too far.)

Thinking further about modules, you might consider the inclusion (should you
try this) of a user definable module, in which the user could set
parameters. Consider the lone singer at home, or the voice over artist who
uses the same 'voice' on a regular basis. They would tend to form phrases,
and speech, in the same way, more often than not, including mouth noise,
nasal, etc.... (Big generalisation here, but to get the point across...)
If the user can use his or her own template each time as a start point, then
it might prove more efficient, and definable, as a mechanised process.
(Alex singing module, Olivier talking module, etc)

--
Parchment Studios (It started as a joke...)