Re: [LAD] [LAU] Join the Debian Multimedia Team! (to improve the state of Linux audio)

From: MarcO'Chapeau <marco@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 09 2009 - 17:23:52 EET

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 11:04:02 -0400, "Ivica Ico Bukvic" <ico@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> Hey Ico,
>>
>> I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean. While I would
>> encourage the people from the Debian Multimedia Team to subscribe to a
>> list
>> like linux-audio-tuning to discuss tuning issues and grab ideas from
>> here,
>> I don't see how we could provide mirroring or any kind of services like
>> this (we have limited resources), and even if we could, I don't see why
>> *we* should do it.
>>
>> If I understood the original mail correctly, this initiative is meant to
>> be
>> integrated to *Debian*, and is meant to make the *Debian* distro better,
>> because it is *Debian* which has issues with linux-audio. Why should
>> linux-audio chime in ?
>
> Because this is an opportunity to extend distro transparency and
ultimately
> allow developers to spend more time on developing rather than dealing
with
> differences between distros.

hmm, ok. I'll give you this one.

> Besides, we already mirror UbuntuStudio, JACKlab, and 64Studio, so why
> shouldn't we also encourage Debian Multimedia to join the consortium and
in
> turn allow them to use whatever resources we may have.

I might have misunderstood something. Is Debian Multimedia a full featured
distro like 64studio or UbuntoStudio or an effort to make debian look
better regarding audio packages ?

My point was : if Debian Multimedia is just an effort to make things better
looking on the audio/multimedia side, then it has more to do with the
"Debian packages and process" group of people than with the linuxaudio
people.

Marc-Olivier Barre.
------
Participez au black-out anti-HADOPI :