Re: [LAD] [LAU] Join the Debian Multimedia Team! (to improve the state of Linux audio)

From: Grammostola Rosea <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 01 2009 - 11:57:24 EEST

Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
>> Hey Ico,
>>
>> I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean. While I would
>> encourage the people from the Debian Multimedia Team to subscribe to a
>> list
>> like linux-audio-tuning to discuss tuning issues and grab ideas from here,
>> I don't see how we could provide mirroring or any kind of services like
>> this (we have limited resources), and even if we could, I don't see why
>> *we* should do it.
>>
>> If I understood the original mail correctly, this initiative is meant to
>> be
>> integrated to *Debian*, and is meant to make the *Debian* distro better,
>> because it is *Debian* which has issues with linux-audio. Why should
>> linux-audio chime in ?
>>

> Because this is an opportunity to extend distro transparency and ultimately
> allow developers to spend more time on developing rather than dealing with
> differences between distros.
>
> Besides, we already mirror UbuntuStudio, JACKlab, and 64Studio, so why
> shouldn't we also encourage Debian Multimedia to join the consortium and in
> turn allow them to use whatever resources we may have.
>
> All that being said, I do agree with you that we have limited resources, and
> in part I am hoping that through these kinds of initiatives we could bring
> in more contributors to the core Linuxaudio.org services.

So far so good. Ardour hits testing finally, a RT kernel wishlist bug
with patch is filed, people are working on LV2 etc.

Here you can find more information about maintaining multimedia packages
for Debian/ Ubuntu and joining the Debian Multimedia Team and/ or the
Ubuntu MOTUMedia team.

http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=817

I suggest add a 'chapter' in the wiki of linuxaudio.org with information
about maintaining packages. The information about Debian/Ubuntu you can
find in my link. But I can imagine that also other distro's like to
write down some information about maintaining multimedia packages, cause
it would be nice if we could improve GNU/ Linux audio by getting more
packages into the different distro's.

Please take some action here.

Kind regards,

\r