[LAD] making 'whysynth' microtonal/tuning-table capable

From: Aaron Johnson <aaron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 28 2009 - 07:39:31 EEST

Hi all,

As a big fan of alternative tuning systems and microtonality, the desire
naturally occurs to me to seek out synthesis tools which make this possible.
I also happen to think 'whysynth' is a nice application whose general
felxibilty and sound make it worthy of having some of the more
microtonal-aware capabilities of for example, "ZynAddSubFX", but it seems
that zyn is no longer in active development, and is sometimes oddly
bug-ridden and unstable.

So, after having located the code snippet in whysynth that creates a
standard 12-equal tuning array, called 'y_pitch', as factors relative to
440HZ (A440), and indexed by MIDI note numbers. I wonder, how easy would it
be to make this table dynamic and subject to for example, loading a SCALA
.scl file, or at least, a user defined array which can be loaded from a
dialog box?

here's the code snippet from 'whysynth_voice_render.c'

   /* MIDI note to pitch */
    for (i = 0; i <= 128; ++i) {
        pexp = (float)(i - 69) / 12.0f;
        y_pitch[i] = powf(2.0f, pexp);
    }

My GTK experience is nil; my programming chops are strong in Python and
TkInter, but not as strong in C/C++....perhaps someone who might be
interested in such a venture could point me in the right direction, or be of
some assistance?

Best,

--
Aaron Krister Johnson