Re: [LAD] [Jack-Devel] more jack/qjackctl madness

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 17 2009 - 14:11:23 EEST

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 12:20:34PM +0200, MarcO'Chapeau wrote:

> - dbus is not the default compile time config option. Your distro should
> probably disable it (until it's stable and shiny)

On this I agree.

> - When dbus is active, it is indeed not backwards compatible with the
> legacy autostart feature... I agree it might need fixing

Very very nice. Good luck with it.

> - The behavior you describe with ports is indeed a bug and needs fixing

Seems to be qjackctl-0.3.4. Until this is fixed it is completely
useless for me.

> And for the record, "fixing a mess" doesn't always need to be "deleting all
> the features that might create it".

Depends on what these features are supposed to add.

The only argument pro using dbus I'v heard so far
is that it permits run-time discovery of new backends,
internal clients and their parameters.

If it were true, it's a very weak argument. We
do have new backends every day do we ? The last
one added I know of was more than two years ago.

But it is bogus. The dbus server uses the existing
control interface and it can't provide any info
that can't be obtained there directly and with
much less hassle.

To get backend parameters, you can also just dlopen
the backend.so and read them directly - there's a
function for this, used by jackd for its help, and
also by the control interface.
Given the name of the backend it takes 10 lines
of code to do this, which is 3 orders of magnitude
less than all the dbus stuff required at both ends.

Dbus assumes there is a local login, without that
there is no session bus, and things don't work.
Most of my audio machines are headless, there is
no local login, but I still expect things to work,
and that, IMHO, is not unreasonable.

If it doesn't add any functionality that can be
provided in simpler ways, and if it doesn't work
in some perfectly legal use cases, there is no
reason for having it.

Ciao,

--
FA
Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.