Re: [LAD] [Jack-Devel] more jack/qjackctl madness : some comments

From: <torbenh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 19 2009 - 15:56:37 EEST

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 12:10:45PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> > from where i stand, qjackctl does not need jackdbus support whatsoever.
> > it's kind of the other way around, if i may say. and the way around is not
> > about qjackctl per se, but to plain old good command-line jackd.
>
> i'd like to clarify (again) based on ongoing conversations in #jack.
>
> the issue that qjackctl could consider is not jackdbus, or dbus in
> general. its the JACK control API that was discussed at LAC 2008.
> right now, qjackctl simply claims to know how to start the JACK
> server, offers a dialog to let the user pick settings, and then
> constructs a set of command line arguments for jackd.
>
> this will continue to work forever, but it is less flexible than we
> would like (consider what happens every time JACK gets a new option
> added (or taken away). the control API allows a control application to
> query the jack server (actually, its really querying the library that
> contains the implementation of the jack server that the control app is
> linked with), and discover what the available parameters are etc. etc.
>
> the dbus stuff is really mostly orthogonal to this (i stress the
> "mostly") - its just another example of a control app/system. there's
> no reason why qjackctl would or should want to interact with it.
>
> however, the one area where these things overlap is "auto-start". this
> is because what it means to "auto-start" a JACK server differs in the
> following two scenarios:
>
> * vanilla JACK install - there is no "jack control" system in
> place or in use
> * with jackdbus - there is a daemon in place listening for
> requests to start/stop/reconfigure the server
>
> in the first scenario, the ~/.jackdrc file (if it exists) takes care
> of auto-start. but if jackdbus is in use, then auto-start means
> something really quite different.

so please tell me why the dbus implementation CANT just read .jackdrc ?
i am really pissed on all you guys trampling on legacy stuff.

WHY cant jackdbus just use the .jackdrc if it does not find its own .xml
config ? or check, whether .jackdrc is newer than the xml ?

you always point at us saying we dont like dbus. its not about dbus. its
about dbus people ignoring legacy. stop breaking legacy !

--
torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language