Re: [LAD] [Jack-Devel] more jack/qjackctl madness : some comments

From: Nedko Arnaudov <nedko@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 19 2009 - 19:26:50 EEST

Bob Ham <rah@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 10:37 +0200, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
>> Someone sets up a firm that provides a free service:
>> they enhance your life by removing things from your
>> home and disposing of them.
>>
>> One day I return home and find some things have been
>> removed.
>>
>> I go the manager of the free service and tell him:
>>
>> - Listen, I don't want you to enter my home and
>> remove things uninvited.
>>
>> - But then I can't do my job !
>>
>> - So you are thieves ?
>>
>> - No, no, no, we just provide a free service
>> that enhances your life.
>

> I have to say, I think this is really out of line, Fons. Implying free
> software developers are theives because they've changed something and
> you don't like it is quite extraordinary.
>
> I think a better analogy would be like so:
>

> Someone sets up a firm that provides and maintains free furniture,
> appliances, plumbing and electricity for anybody's home.
>
> One day, you come home and find half of your radiators don't work
> because someone has started upgrading the plumbing and hasn't finished
> yet.
>
> You go to the manager of the free service and tell him:
>
> - Listen, I don't want you to stop the radiators in my house from
> working.
>
> - That's fine, you're entirely free to install your own plumbing, or fix
> the plumbing we've installed for you.
>
> - I don't want to, you should do it for me and do it right dammit!

Even better:

Someone sets up a firm Foo that produces furniture,
appliances, plumbing, etc.

Someone sets up a firm Bar that provides and maintains free furniture,
appliances, plumbing and electricity for anybody's home by using the
prducts of firm Foo.

One day, you come home and find half of your radiators don't work
because someone has started upgrading the plumbing and hasn't finished
yet.

You go to the manager of the firm Foo and tell him:

- Listen, I don't want you to stop the radiators in my house from
  working.

- I don't. I have no control with out. Why you dont ask the manager of
  firm Bar?

- But you produce it!

- Yes, we produce toxic waste too. There are bacteria that eat it. I'm
  affraid the manager of firm Bar got impression that you eat toxic
  waste too. I'm sorry about situation. We will improve instructions
  about our toxic waste product but still, you have to request Bar to
  meet your requirements. Or stop using Bar and use Baz instead.

--
Nedko Arnaudov <GnuPG KeyID: DE1716B0>