Re: [LAD] [Jack-Devel] more jack/qjackctl madness : some comments

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue May 19 2009 - 19:48:29 EEST

Henry Gomersall wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 18:26 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> I'm using Linux since years (not rt-audio ;)) and the architecture of
>> Linux has one big disadvantage. You might have a Linux that is fine,
>> the
>> times are changing and in addition you need an absolutely new
>> application, but you don't need to update any of the applications
>> you're
>> using since years.
>>
>> You can't install the new application, because dependencies needs to
>> be
>> updated and that causes that also your perfect working applications
>> needs to be updated.
>>

> I don't see how this is different to any system (Windows, Mac, Game
> Boy). The main difference being that you are actually free, yourself, to
> modify the code and keep it working. That is the point about being able
> to modify the code yourself.
>
> Henry

The latest version of the Atari Cubase still can run sessions of the
first version, sometimes you can't do this with Rosegarden between two
versions (okay, I nearly does NO RT-AUDIO with Linux ;)). But the point
isn't what is possible or impossible for other OS's. For Windows and Mac
you can get the same open source applications, but not everybody want to
work with the source code and set up the application by this way, most
people needs a working tool.