Re: [LAD] Presenting volume control sliders

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 22 2009 - 10:53:57 EEST

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 07:37:31PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 7:26 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > What Ardour is lacking is sort of 'monitoring' window,
> > a place where you can select in a convenient way what
> > you hear, and how.
>
> hear where? master outs? a listen bus? control outs bus? some other
> bus(ses)? direct outs? there's no simple definition of "what you
> hear". there might be N listeners at one time. whose monitoring is
> being affected?

By 'monitoring' here I mean the main studio monitors.
You should be able to listen to various things (including
monitor sends for musicians), and switch between them
easily and without interrupting the normal program flow.
Setting this up in a convenient way is currently near
impossible in Ardour. And if you emulate it using a lot
of extra strips etc. there is no visual hint of a 'safe'
area where whatever you do will never hurt the 'main'
outputs, and so you end up having to think twice before
pushing any button.

Have a look at what is provided in this area by some
'real' mixers, and ask the people who use them why
these things are what they are, and rather essential.

Ciao,

--
FA
Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.