Re: [LAD] [ANN] invada-studio-plugins-lv2-1.0.0

From: Nedko Arnaudov <nedko@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 31 2009 - 13:36:51 EEST

Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com> writes:

> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Nedko Arnaudov <nedko@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com> writes:
>>
>>> Even if it did support LV2, it couldn't support the GUIs because
>>> (unless it has changed dramatically since I last looked at it) the LV2
>>> GUI extension is limited to a single host toolkit which Rosegarden
>>> does not use, namely GTK.
>>
>> There is "external UI" extension that allows plugin to launch the GUI in
>> separate process.
>
> The Invada plugins look (from the screenshots) to have some active
> components such as meters. Would these work using the "external UI"
> extension?

Yes, external UI extension is based on the UI extension that is used by
gtk ui extension. gtk ui extension just defines that UI handle is a gtk
widget. Nothing more. External UI extension defines that UI handle is an
object that basically adds the hide and show methods. Implementation of
show method can start the GUI process and setup IPC with it. The
DSSI-like universal "wrapper" code that is meant to be used for
"adjusting" DSSI plugins to LV2 world does what a DSSI host does.

> The basic question is: if LV2 support was added to Rosegarden using
> all of the latest available technology, would anyone notice any
> difference between Invada plugins hosted in Rosegarden and the same
> plugins hosted in Ardour? My impression is that they would, if the
> plugins have GUIs that use facilities that are not open to current
> external UIs such as those for DSSI.

Invada plugins don't have external UI. If you are going to add LV2
support to Rosegarden I'll add external UI support to Invada.
I promise.

--
Nedko Arnaudov <GnuPG KeyID: DE1716B0>