Re: [LAD] VeSTige headers

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Fri Jun 12 2009 - 23:12:59 EEST

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 8:53 PM, victor<Victor.Lazzarini@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Does anyone know whether it is possible to write fully-compatible
> VST plugins with this header? It does seem to have a lot less than
> the VST SDK headers on first looks. Or is this just meant for
> writing hosts?

I'm not completely confident about this, but I think that effectively
it's only good for hosts.

The header contains everything that a "normal" host in "normal" use
will use to communicate with a plugin, so you can certainly use it to
write a plugin that would work in this situation. But it isn't
complete; a host could invoke things not specified in this header, and
your plugin won't respond correctly to them if your only reference is
this header (as it presumably will be if you aren't to trangress
against the VST licence). So your plugin might work in other hosts,
but I don't see how you could be sure of that.

On a practical level, of course, most existing plugins derive from the
C++ classes provided in the SDK, which have no equivalent here. So
you'd have to do more work.

Chris