Re: [LAD] [ANNOUNCE] Safe real-time on the desktop by default; Desktop/audio RT developers, read this!

From: Lennart Poettering <mzynq@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 22 2009 - 18:20:28 EEST

On Mon, 22.06.09 16:34, Fons Adriaensen (fons@email-addr-hidden) wrote:

> > A "collection of desktop-oriented daemons"? Do I smell D-Bus fud
> > again?
>
> If I write 'a collection of desktop-oriented daemons' then I mean
> exactly that. You have confirmed many times that is what they are.

rtkit is just one little bus-activated service. Not sure where you see
a "collection of daemons".

> > Oh my. Just because someone mentions that UNIX has issues you don't
> > have to call him "ignorant" and "arrogant".
>
> There is a world of difference between saying that UNIX has issues
> and saying that group based security is broken. You could as well
> say that wheel based transport is broken,

But group-bases access *is* broken. I mean, I am sorry if that hurts
your feelings, but uh, it's just the way it is.

> > PolicyKit entered all major distributions.
>
> The only thing required for that it to ensure it becomes a
> dependency for Gnome. This will work for anything you want
> and it does not demonstrate or imply any qualities.

FUD, FUD. FUD. FUD. FUD. FUD. FUD. And FUD.

KDE adopted it too. And quite a few system daemons too.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net