Re: [LAD] [ANNOUNCE] Safe real-time on the desktop by default; Desktop/audio RT developers, read this!

From: Krzysztof Foltman <wdev@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 22 2009 - 19:14:00 EEST

Fons Adriaensen wrote:

>> Have you actually read my announcement mail? This stuff is only useful
>> for out-of-the-box RT support on major distributions. If you roll
>> everything your own, because that makes you happy, then ignore rtkit.
> I will ignore it, also as an author. Or tell me why a RT DSP library
> (which may create RT threads) should depened on any desktop-oriented
> daemons.

You're not ignoring it, you're practically waging the war against it,
effectively trying to make life more miserable for the desktop users
(yes, like me for example). Why?

The existence of rtkit doesn't make it harder for you to assign RT
privileges to every process on the machine. However, it makes it
possible to prevent rogue processes from obtaining/abusing the RT
scheduling while letting user-approved processes to still use it. In
some contexts, asking the users to give up every single application a
dangerous permission just to let them run your application, is a bad
idea (it makes any other application in the system capable of locking up
the PC without the chance of preventing it).

Okay, it uses a commonly available message passing infrastructure
(D-Bus) instead of reinventing the wheel. So what? Is one way of sending
messages to other processes somehow bad because it's an Evil Baby-Eating
D-Bus? POSIX is Good, FreeDesktop is Evil, since when? What's the
reasoning behind THAT?

Krzysztof