Re: [LAD] [ANNOUNCE] Safe real-time on the desktop by default; Desktop/audio RT developers, read this!

From: Lennart Poettering <mzynq@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 23 2009 - 00:37:20 EEST

On Mon, 22.06.09 23:19, Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de) wrote:

> so what is this about? rt users want absolute control over their
> machine. anybody who can tolerate some arbitrary bits of policy thrown
> at them during work is by definition not an rt user.
> rt users must be trustable with root access, at least in terms of cpu
> governance, which is what rtlimits achivev just fine.

What is so difficult to understand that rtkit is not intended to be a
solution for hardcore rt users?

rtkit is not for you!

Let me repeat this:

RTKIT IS NOT FOR YOU!

rtkit is a just missing piece of the puzzle that allows distros to
enable RT by default for their desktop users.

And rtkit doesn't break RLIMIT_PRIO, it isn't even activated when that
is set.

Let me repeat this, too:

RTKIT DOESN'T BREAK RLIMIT_RTPRIO!

It was clearly a bad idea to post about rtkit on lad. It is a big
waste of time fighting this through against all those desktop-haters,
fdo-haters, dbus-haters, who apparently believe I am out to take away
their freedom to run their systems the way want. I really don't need
this shit. The amount of constructive criticism in this thread is next
to zero, nobody even bothers to read the README before just fudding
around.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net