Re: [LAD] [ANNOUNCE] Safe real-time on the desktop by default; Desktop/audio RT developers, read this!

From: alex stone <compose59@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 23 2009 - 14:02:22 EEST

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Patrick
Shirkey<pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 06/22/2009 04:20 PM, Chris Cannam wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Paul Davis<paul@email-addr-hidden>
> wrote:
>

> Finally, as Chris said -
> many of us are writing apps that target multiple platforms
>

> Well, my comment (from the point of view of applications rather than
> library development) was not so much about portability as simple
> convenience. Regardless of which method is ultimately used to
> establish proper audio scheduling, it would be nice to be able to
> handle it through the same audio API as I am already using. PortAudio
> and JACK APIs both contain some support for this, PulseAudio is the
> odd one out for me.
>

> As a point of interest and comparison that has very little to do with this
> debate,  I just noticed that pulseaudio *is* being used in the Palm Pre
>
> http://opensource.palm.com/packages.html
>
> While Jack and Portaudio are not.
>

> --
> Patrick Shirkey
> Boost Hardware Ltd.

Patrick, the point is well made.

The decision's already been taken, excluding the wider linuxaudio
community, and no amount of enthusiastic input here will make any
difference to Lennert's intent, or anyone else involved in this
project.

Seems we got the short straw. Again.

A real shame.

Alex