Re: [LAD] palm pre [was Re: [ANNOUNCE] Safe real-time on thedesktop by default; Desktop/audio RT developers, read this!]

From: James Warden <warjamy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 24 2009 - 14:28:28 EEST

Just a small comment, and then I shut up:

the great thing about linux is its flexibility. I have a few boxes at home doing different things:
- a multimedia server based on mythtv, NFS and samba
- a powerful DAW running an RT patched kernel
- a couple of laptops for AOB (any other business)

For the AOB laptops, it was nice not to do anything once I installed the distro. Things worked OOB, and that was it.

For the DAW or multimedia server, that was another story ... but simply because customized systems require, well, customization. The all-in-one distro is and I think will remain a utopia.

This said, I recently upgraded my DAW to KDE 4.2 (was 3.5.9 before upgrade) and that automatically installed pulseaudio. I had already fiddled around with pulseaudio about a year ago due to my using VirtualBox (another story). I found pulse's features kinda cool and I quickly understood it was not meant as a replacement or alternative to Jack.

As of today, my DAW has pulseaudio installed. But all I had to do was:
- open the KDE system settings
- disable ALL sound stuff I could find

So basically, KDE offered me the possibility to not interact at all with the sound layer. It was obviously not a default setting but it was just a few clicks away.

So let me be straight: it should remain like that.

On average, a user installing e.g. KDE will expect desktop sounds to work (sound notifications, mp3 players, DVD playback, what-not). That's not what I want in my DAW at all but being myself an old linux "power user", I knew that it would do that (experience with artsd). I mean, how could the KDE installation possibly know that it was to be running on a DAW ?! :D
I am glad the desktop config interface allowed me to configure it the way I wanted (no extra special services in the background, no sound system other than what I want for my DAW).

Now, if things were to change (no longer the possibility to configure e.g. KDE the way I want), I would definitely feel pissed-off and complain on some mailing lists. But let's be also clear: pulseaudio is definitely NOT the worst things that could happen. It works fine on my laptops, I don't need to do anything about it and that's what it was intended for: a generic and multifeatured desktop sound system. But desktops are also used in other contexts (e.g. DAW) and it would really be wise to keep desktop components _optional_ (not only sound system but also visual effects, etc). That's just simple wisdom and i suggest we keep it that way. The same applies to jack. It is a highly specialized tool and should remain so.

OK, time to disappear from this discussion.

Cheers,
J.