Re: [LAD] [ANNOUNCE] Safe real-time on the desktop by default; Desktop/audio RT developers, read this!

From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 29 2009 - 16:35:06 EEST

On Mon Jun 22 2009 - 10:33:37 EEST, Arnold Krille wrote:

>[...]
>
>-Arnold, still trying to understand why any distribution should now use
>RealtimeKit after not really using rtlimits in PAM (except for the new
>run for "Kits")

I for one consider this "kit" naming pretty awkward, and if it's just
the slow adoption of microsoftsounding techniques into Linux. Heck it
(kit) may be the next buzzword of the century. And then, once `rpm -qa`
has a "Kit" in every line, maybe then people start thinking what it
buys.

Where's the unix in everyone of us? ConsoleKit for example, rpm -q
summarizes it as "System daemon for tracking users, sessions and seats"
and should, subsequently, had better been called consolesessiond or
something, for "ConsoleKit" does not tell me much. RealtimeKit even
gives me the wrong impression that it alone would magically make RT work
(which is not the case).