Re: [LAD] Improvisor lilypond support!?

From: Grammostola Rosea <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 18 2009 - 21:49:34 EEST

laseray@email-addr-hidden wrote:

>>> Really. Last year I found Improvisor and wanted to contribute to it,
>>> so I got in contact with Bob. I made some changes to integrate the
>>> application better into the desktop (on Mac OS X also) and did some
>>> initial cleanup.
>>> The reaction I received was less than welcoming. In fact, the message I
>>> got was that they were not interested in really allowing outside
>>> developers to contribute. Thus my changes were never used, or considered
>>> as far as I can tell. What I got was a bunch of excuses about the
>>> situation with the application until finally this Bob guy came straight
>>> out and harshly refused to cooperate on development. I even had to ask
>>> numbers of time before I could finally get the source code and this
>>> resulted in it finally being posted on the group.
>>> Basically the group that works on it is his student research group at the
>>> educational institution he is employed at. So it appears that they just
>>> want to keep all the glory and credit for the application to themselves by
>>> disallowing outside contributions. This is really not manner that we
>>> usually associate with FOSS. The fact that you have to subscribe to a user
>>> group even to get the binary is one big clue. To my mind the only reason
>>> it is under GPL is because they use other libraries that are, not because
>>> they see some benefit to doing so.
>>> The only way to go with this application, at the moment, is to fork it. I
>>> was considering doing this a while ago, but have other projects keeping me
>>> busy. If you can convince them to open it up, great. I wouldn't hold my
>>> breath though. If enough other developers are interested then I could give
>>> some time to a fork.
>>>

>> This is what he replied me
>>

>> "If there are developers who are serious, I could provide svn access to
>> our repository. Right now there are 3 people who are active. We are
>> about to release version 4, which is almost a year out from version 3.39
>> that is in the user group. "
>>

>> So I think we have to go the working together way first.
>> I've forwarded the message of Lasconic to him, let's wait for his reply
>> on that.
>>

> No, I think you are wrong here to even consider trying to cooperate. I waited
> after your initial reply to respond because obviously you weren't fully
> considering my points, so I decided to see what happens. Now a preview of the
> next version of impro-visor has been released and it is as I expected. No
> source code, again. Blatant GPL violation again. That was unexpected, not!
>
> Where's that SourceForge project also? That's right, it does not exist.
>
> I sent a message about the missing source code, again. I wonder what excuses
> he will give, again (or has he decided to not even respond to my legitimate
> inquiries now). Last time it was that he was on the road or busy or <enter
> lame excuse here>. He had the time to package up binaries for Linux,
> [...]
Please calm down a bit and be patience. He clearly says, he wanted first
to make version 4 available and then he will make a sourceforge account.

"I am pleased to announce that a preview version of Impro-Visor version
4 is available for download in the Files area. This version includes a
number of important features:"

AFAIK it's just a preview version yet, so you need to be patient...

I have good hope, the source will get on sourceforge after the 4 release :)

\r