Re: [LAD] Fw: Re: At the hands of Professor Keller and Raymond

From: Nick Copeland <nickycopeland@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 28 2009 - 01:57:50 EEST

Man, This discussion is too good not to stick an oar in. As far as Fons goes, the
forwarded mail is simply stoking the flames. I have a few email from him, privately,
that are extremely derogatory of anybody on this list with artistic instincts and he might
also consider keeping his private messages as such. Fons had just got back from
yet another pizza party, he says, so perhaps he had another bottle too many and
his fingers ran away with him (before he flames me, I am also guilty of this at
the very minute although I went for a curry and it was definitely hotter than parma).
Fons has a tendency to talk a lot of drivel, then at times be unbelievably lucid
although I am not convinced this mail fell into the latter. His message tends to
be more succinct in those cases.

Anyway, enough of hassling Fons, he contributes too immensely to Linux Audio
to heckled more than he is due.

The message I did want to give, before I got sidetracked by what could have been
a reasonable message to him (and I am pleased he forwarded it since it was firstly
quite funny and secondly embodied a number of things I have wanted to say to him
in the past but lacked that same clarity of expression), was that either you do make
software freely available or you don't. If you can't let go of what you have created
and let it go its own course then it was a mistake to put it out there to start with. If
you really want to consider the legal alternatives then please just release your code
on MacOS, then release it on Windows and finally sue yourself. That would be fun
and it would at least leave the rest of us to get on with what we are doing.

Either embrace the concept or don't get involved.

Open source, publicly released code is just that. You put it out in the public. You
let the cat out of the bag. There is no point in going bawling to some non existent
legal 'daddy' to change that fact. Either do release or don't release it but please,
don't look for sympathy from the open source community for the pain inflicted by
somebody else picking up what you have done and improving/butchering/charging
for the same. Unix is littered with failed lawsuits.

The code is out there.

"we have to make sure the old choice [Windows] doesn't disappear”.
Jim Wong, president of IT products, Acer