Re: [LAD] Fwd: Fw: Re: At the hands of Professor Keller and Raymond

From: <laseray@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 28 2009 - 16:19:03 EEST

On Tuesday 28 July 2009 08:01:36 alex stone wrote:
> Just on a more serious note, amidst all this mayhem and frivolity, we
> forked a project recently to more specifically add and modify a set of
> tools for a defined purpose.
> Unlike this trainwreck, we not only tried our best to do so in a
> decent way, but the original author was thoroughly civilised about it,
> and showed a lot of class in his positive and encouraging responses.
>
> I certainly learned a lot from the process, and have even more respect
> for Chris (Cannam) as a result.
>
> It goes without saying that if Chris can use anything we write, then
> he's most welcome to do so, and has our encouragement as well.
>
> There's a way to do this that doesn't involve throwing digital
> hatchets or burning anyone at the stake.

Yes, but that could not be done in this case. Seemingly, people have not
been paying attention. The nice approach was tried almost a year ago now.
The same obnoxious attitude persists now with the original Impro-Visor side
of things, so action had to be taken. When doing the right thing causes
people to almost line up against the one in the right, what does that say
about those people? Some have not. My thanks go to them, for actually having
properly read the GPL and understanding the obligations involved.

For others, I believe they are all having some kind of residual effect left
over from childhood when parents and adults told them to never quarrel
or fight. As if all such attitudes can only lead to bad outcomes. The fact
is that civilized societies are built on argument, debate. That is how laws
are put into place to make life better. People must argue to make
improvements, else we will all be at the mercy of a few with all the power
deciding unfairly what is right or wrong for all of us. As opposed to having a
democratic process in place that is not supposed to discriminate without
proper cause. Try to get past this idea that all arguments are bad, they
aren't. They lead to results you won't get if you just sit around on your
hands. Such is what happened in this case.

If I had interacted with someone like Chris, that would have been great,
then things would certainly have worked out better. But that is not the case.
I work on other FOSS projects, and aside from one other projects, I have never
had any problems like this. The other people I interact with are willing to
discuss things, clearly, openly, logically, and without resorting to personal
attacks on my character. Disagreements do occur from time to time, but they
just do not have the same self-inflated and arrogant motivation I have
experience with Impro-Visor.

There are lots of projects out there that pretend to be FOSS, using GPL
or whatever license. Then when you try to do what you are allowed
they react in a very proprietary manner. So there is a phenomena at play with
this--some developers riding the free software wagon just so they can claim to
be doing that, to get recognition, boost their egos, or whatever.

Learn to see this people. It is very scummy behavior that deserves no less
than being attacked and shamed into compliance. In fact, these are the exact
tactics that various GPL legal defender organizations use. So what I have done
is completely inline with them. Anybody who thinks otherwise has not done
their homework. So please go do some research before putting in your
comments that fall on the side of defending a violator. Never mind the
warm fuzzy feelings you want, get results. Impro-Visor has made it
impossible to cooperate, never mind the seemingly nice attitude pretentiously
given by those on that side about the issue. Only the facts count.

And the fact remains that Impro-Visor is still violating the GPL. Go check
for yourself, don't take my word for it. You will know who is really right
when you realize that this is a consistent pattern of behavior on their
part. Don't be fooled by childish excuses that sound like someone telling
their primary school teacher they forgot their homework. Responsibility
first, responsibility!

Raymond

P.S. Bob kicked me off his Yahoo group with this "new" release he just made.
Why would he do that? He never let me post any message previously without
censoring or dumping them. So I haven't even sent any that might be
questionable to him since last year because of this. He is just trying to
prevent me from getting at the files he is releasing. Apparently he must be
afraid of something or doing something wrong. And he is, GPL violations still
exist on that group with this release. Go check for yourselves.

Can you see more now the kind of person he is?