Re: [LAD] Fwd: Fw: Re: At the hands of Professor Keller and Raymond

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 28 2009 - 20:13:42 EEST

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 09:33:19AM -0700, Robert Keller wrote:

> I've tried to put my best foot forward in posting the sources as I
> said I would. I spent all of last evening doing it and got it to a
> level where it builds. Could someone other than you please tell me
> what I should add to be in compliance if I am not?

If you have the full GPL text in a text file (normally 'COPYING')
and the GPL 'declaration' in all source files, and the sources
when compiled produce the binary and everything it requires, then
as far as I know you are compliant. No doubt _someone_ will correct
me if necessary.

Your project may need some other changes (not GPL related) to
be in line with usual source code distribution practices, for
example I'd terribly dislike a compilation script or tool that
also launches the application when ready. Normally (but this
is C/C++ practice, and may be different for Java) there are at
least three steps after the sources have been unpacked :

- configure : this checks is everything required is present,
  may offer compile-time options, and create additional source
  files that adapt the code to the system or platform. Java will
  probably require less of the latter.

- make : compile and link (or the equivalent) the application.

- install : move the binaries and any other required resources
  to one of the standard places.

After the install step running the program must not depend
on anything in the source tree, which then can be removed.

The install step may or may not include steps to create
a desktop icon, include the app in some desktop menu,
etc., but at least on Linux is not required to do this.
There is a wide range of desktops being used on Linux
machines, and people who compile things from source
usually know what to do on their system. In this sense
things are easier for Linux than for e.g. OSX.

I'm a complete Java nitwit, someone knowing more about
it should be able to provide better advice.

Anyway, I'd advise to distribute the binary from the
same place as the sources. You are required to keep
them in step, so it could actually be easier that way.

Ciao,

--
FA
Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.