Re: [LAD] How well do thinkpad notebooks work for audio?

From: <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 30 2009 - 10:50:01 EEST

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 08:01:23 +0800
Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Damned right..gotta watch out for that ricoh fw chip.

I got the suggestion to forget about firewire and look at expresscard
solutions instead. This shouldn't have the same problem as it's just
PCIe, or so I've heard.
Firewire wouldn't have many benefits and one problem with a really
mobile FW solution is that it's pretty much non-existant since there
are almost no notebooks with 6-pin FW connecters and even if they have
that I'm not sure they really can power an audio interface.
So if you need a power source anyway there's not much reason to use FW
besides maybe being a little bit more flexible than with expresscard.

Philipp