Re: [LAD] Fwd: Fw: Re: At the hands of Professor Keller and Raymond

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Aug 02 2009 - 10:57:07 EEST

Robert Keller wrote:
> On Aug 1, 2009, at 4:04 PM, nescivi wrote:

>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> On another related point. I am still wondering what is up with the
>>> copyright changes that took place between version 2.04 and 3.39. I
>>> have the
>>> 2.04 source and I see that there are a number of people who have
>>> copyrights
>>> indicated in the GPL headers for that. Then when you look at the 3.39
>>> headers it only says that the copyrights belong to Keller and his
>>> educational institution. What is the situation with that?
>>>
>>> Either everybody transferred their copyrights to him and the
>>> institution or
>>> this is another set of violations (one for each person who had their
>>> respective copyright removed/changed). Personally, I would like see
>>> everybody who did work on that have their proper copyrights
>>> indicated.
>>> Some clarification would be helpful.
>>>
>> Bob Keller has to comment on that for the precise situation, but it
>> may well
>> be that student's work in his institution, are copyrighted by the
>> institution.
>>
>> sincerely,
>> Marije
>>

> We employ the students, so we own the copyright.
>
> Bob

Hi Bob :)

the headers done by other authors are still copyright by the original
authors. The code done by the Harvey Mudd College is copyright by it.
This always must be recognisable. I didn't download your source code,
that's why I don't know if the copyrights are done right or wrong, but I
guess this is the reason for the discord. Even if you changed headers
original done by other authors for more than 50% of the code, it must be
noticeable who was the original author and that you changed it. There's
a stipulation: "a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent
notices stating that you changed the files and the date of any change."

Hth,
Ralf