Re: [LAD] Fwd: Fw: Re: At the hands of Professor Keller and Raymond

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Sun Aug 02 2009 - 22:36:34 EEST

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Raymond Martin<laseray@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Sunday 02 August 2009 16:31:55 Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> I hope that you will continue to be motivated to contribute to the
>> project now that Bob has released it to sf.net as that would appear to
>> be your main reason for forcing the issue.
>
> No. I have previously stated that I have a separate project for this now.
>
> I am also working on a fork, because after reviewing parts of the code
> I realize, as any professional programmer would, that this really needs
> a lot of fixing. I am already fixing some parts for my own use and later
> they will be put out.

All non-trivial code "needs a lot of fixing".

I suspect it would be more productive to ensure that the fixes and new
developments from various parties happen in the same place, so that
everyone can benefit from them -- and the obvious place for that is
the repository that is managed by the team that wrote the program so
far, since clearly they have proven capable (especially since there is
no suggestion that the program is unmaintained or no longer developed
by them).

But I imagine that there may be personal rather than technical
obstacles to that, and I quite understand that they can be significant
enough to be sometimes not worth trying to overcome.

It might be worth reiterating that under the GPL Bob's project is just
as welcome to draw from the forked project as the fork is to draw from
his.

Chris