Re: [LAD] Fwd: Fw: Re: At the hands of Professor Keller and Raymond

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 03 2009 - 00:12:25 EEST

On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 01:12:48PM -0700, keller wrote:

> Just nice to have, as there is a end-user base that prefers such things and
> we support 3 different platforms, so it was very convenient.
>
> I have deleted all the installers and notified the users, anticipating the
> complaints.
>
> If anyone has a recommendation for a substitute for install4j, I'd
> appreciate hearing about it.

There's Raymond's post claiming that this tool is actually
freely available - I don't know. Even if it is, it would
still be sort of a pain to a user to get trapped into
recursive dependencies forcing him/her to first install
X,Y,Z... before he/she can install the wanted program.
I'm a developer and have most tools installed anyway, but
I really hate it when such dependencies never seem to end.

OTOH, if I'm not mistaken your project is written in Java
which is supposed to be a cross-platform language and
'system'. So is installing an app such a big deal that it
can't be taken care of by some scripts or batch files ?

In the Linux world there are of course not only developers
but also packagers who take care of most of the work required
to make applications easy to install for end users. This form
of support is lacking for other platforms.

Ciao,

--
FA
Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.