Re: [LAD] GPL Violation Alert! - Sorry if this is a duplicate

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 04 2009 - 16:35:49 EEST

Hallo,
Forest Bond hat gesagt: // Forest Bond wrote:

> Question:
>
> If you are distributing unmodified GPL code, is it sufficient to point to the
> GPL project's source code (a link to the release page or something)?

I don't think it's sufficient.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#UnchangedJustBinary says:

  I downloaded just the binary from the net. If I distribute copies, do I have to
  get the source and distribute that too?

  Yes. The general rule is, if you distribute binaries, you must distribute
  the complete corresponding source code too. The exception for the case where
  you received a written offer for source code is quite limited.

So *you* have to distribute the source code just as you distribute the binary.
This is also in your own interest, because if the original site goes offline,
you are still required to give people source code.

Ciao

--
Frank