Re: [LAD] GPL Violation Alert! - Sorry if this is a duplicate

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Tue Aug 04 2009 - 18:53:47 EEST

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 4:37 PM, David Robillard<dave@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> GPL crosses the plugin barrier if they live in the same address space
> and call each other / share data, etc:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLPluginsInNF

(That's the bit I meant by "convenient oversimplification", I don't
believe it's always the case at all)

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Gabriel M.
Beddingfield<gabriel@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Your user is the one doing the linking (via VST)... so they're the ones
> making the violation.

Oh, that's an interesting thought. It's presumably true only if
dynamically loading a library from your hard disc into an application
(as opposed to copying it onto your hard disc in the first place) is
an act that requires the permission of its copyright holder. I know
that some shrink-wrap licenses take the view that loading a program is
effectively copying it, but it seems like a _really_ murky area to me.
 Not one that I'd ever really considered. It doesn't seem all that
plausible, but do you think this view is widely accepted?

Chris