Re: [LAD] GPL Violation Alert! - Sorry if this is a duplicate

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 04 2009 - 22:46:11 EEST

Hi,

On Tuesday 04 August 2009 21:23:20 Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> I can modify a piece of GPL'd code to my hearts content, link it to my
> proprietary code, use it for years, all without violating the GPL. A
> violation would be if I distribute the combination as proprietary (non
> GPL) software.
> Comments?

As far as I know this is right. Because GPL is a license (thats what the L
stands for:), not an end-user agreement. All the GPL talks about is
(re-)publishing. So as long as you do not re-distribute your app (outside your
home/business) no one knows and cares.

And I always wonder how Trolltech would enforce people to not use the GPL-
version to start development and only buy a commercial license shortly before
publishing ones own app for money. They actually can't because the sources of
your app (should) not leave your home/business before that, so they wouldn't
know...

Arnold