Re: [LAD] GPL Violation Alert! - Sorry if this is a duplicate

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Tue Aug 04 2009 - 23:42:22 EEST

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Arnold Krille<arnold@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 August 2009 22:11:40 you wrote:
>> It's a very strange condition I think, and one with countless
>> ambiguities: can you reuse code you previously wrote for a completely
>> separate open source project but own copyright to?
>
> Actually you can. If you have to copyright, you can re-license your works as
> you like. Only you cannot really un-GPL your code after publishing it, you can
> only un-GPL future versions.

Yes, but the question here is not whether the code is GPL'd or whether
you own it but whether it was written "while using" the Qt open source
edition. It has nothing to do with the copyright or licensing status
of the code, it's just an arbitrary and surprisingly vague restriction
contained in the commercial licensing agreement.

Chris