Re: [LAD] A question for power HW experts

From: Raymond Martin <laseray@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 05 2009 - 05:51:37 EEST

On Tuesday 04 August 2009 17:52:23 Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm looking for a high performance (e.g. quad core)
> machine to be used for audio processing (and running
> Linux of course). Rack mount is preferred but not
> essential.
>
> What would you recommend to look at ?

I had been looking around a while back for a good audio motherboard
and Gigabyte seemed to pop up quite a bit in terms of good SNR and other
specs for onboard sound.

As for offboard/adapter card, did you look at the M-Audio offerings?

Your PSU can make a difference in terms of noise and interference,
a lot of the ones your get with pre-built machines are crud. Get a
good one (heuristic: heavier ones are better for the same price, wattage,
etc.--big transformer, caps, heath sinks, and so on). The higher end
ones come with good shielding on cables.

Raymond