Re: [LAD] GPL Violation Alert! - update

From: Emanuel Rumpf <xbran@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 05 2009 - 21:14:21 EEST

2009/8/5 Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>:

> Quotint the GPL-FAQ. However applied to LADSPA this would mean, that
> GPL-plug-ins are not allowed in commercial software *at all*,

That's been *my* understanding of the GPL too:
It just doesn't want GPL'd software to be used by proprietary software
in any way.
That's why LGPL was introduced: to be used in circumstances, where
pure GPL is too coercive.
I've been surprised, that some (most ?) plugins were using the GPL, but
thought it was intentional, that authors wouldn't want
non-free-software to use LADSPA etc.
If they (you) would like to allow non-FLOSS to use the plugins, rather
use the LGPL, I think.

--
e.r.