Re: [LAD] Kim did the switch to Linux

From: Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 05 2009 - 22:53:39 EEST

>From TFA:

--8<----------------------------------
Go to System->Preferences->Sound, click on the Devices tab, and check
out the pulldown menu next to ‘Sound Events’ at the top of the panel.
You will see various acronyms, possibly including cryptic-looking
technologies like OSS, ESD, ALSA, JACK, and Pulse Audio. These acronyms
represent a byzantine tangle of conflicting technologies that over time,
and due to political reasons or backwards compatibility, have ended up
cohabiting with one another. ‘Frankenstein’ might be an accurate
metaphor here.

Thankfully, there is a simpler way, which is the combination of ALSA [a
high-performance, kernel-level audio and MIDI system] and JACK [a system
for creating low-latency audio, MIDI, and sync connections between
applications and computers]. The battle-scarred among us have learned to
ignore all the other audio cruft bolted on to Ubuntu and just use ALSA
and JACK. One can think of the ALSA/JACK stack, the heart of most pro
Linux studios, as the Core Audio of Linux and in my opinion Jack should
be the first thing installed on any musicians laptop. I’d go so far as
to suggest placing it in the Startup Applications so it’s always
running.