Re: [LAD] Kim did the switch to Linux

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 06 2009 - 01:53:28 EEST

2009/8/5 Grammostola Rosea <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>:

> Linux audio is a total mess... a normal human being can't work with pro
> audio on Linux, unless he/she spent hours and hours to learn the little
> tricks or he has an expert available who helps him...

What is the purpose of telling this mailing list this?

> I spent 5 hours last week to help somebody to get his (pro) audio
> working on Linux... He says to his girlfriend, you better spend a 1000
> euro's for such a white macbook, then things just work...

unless of course you need to use an aggregate device and inadvertently
use an app that resets the sample rate and you lose one "side" of the
device (playback or capture). or maybe you just use a mac mini with
the defaults and notice totally crappy sound quality (clicks and ticks
everywhere) that don't go away until you buy a new audio interface or
reboot regularly. or you run the OS X update utility and the new wifi
drivers kill audio latency. or you already have a firewire interface
and you forget to notice that the macbook you just bought doesn't have
firewire anymore. etc. etc. etc.

> I don't know if I can really recommend Linux for pro audio to normal
> human beings... at least I should say, you need a lot of time, not easy
> give up on things and a lot of patience...

then get off this list and leave us to our playthings. or better yet,
spend time critiquing the current state of the "out of the box"
experience with the people who **actually provide** the out of the
box experience.

> I don't know if there is a connection between LAD and the distro
> builders, but it seems there is need for change somewhere...
>
> Kim did the switch (nice article), but he has an other background then
> most of the people who works on Desktops and in studios...

Maybe Kim is precisely representative of the sort of the user LAD-ers
are interested in. Maybe not. What purpose does your email serve? Do
you think that anyone on this list is not ACUTELY aware of the
situation you are describing?