Re: [LAD] A question for power HW experts

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 06 2009 - 12:33:58 EEST

On Thursday 06 August 2009 10:58:30 you wrote:
> Arnold Krille wrote:
> >> What are you talking about..!?!?. Of course, it's essential;).
> > Some metal brackets and some screws will do nicely. No need to pay some
> > vendors overpriced metal brackets and screws. :-D
> > If it doesn't fit, use a larger hammer.
> Maybe vendors overpriced rack mount equipment decouple vibrations to
> avoid noise.

No, they don't. I know from looking at the two racks in my lab filled with 5-
rack-units machines.

Some require you to have a support because they really only provide the
brackets for the front, some (the better ones) have sliding pullouts and use
the brackets at the front only for fixation.
But there is certainly no noise-reduction involved. Why? Machines of this
form-factor are normally inside a closed (but cooled!) rack inside a noisy
computer room.
It is only us audio-people sometimes searching for 19" devices (with only half
the normal depth) that make as little noise as possible to use them inside the
studio- or live-rack.

Have fun,

Arnold