Re: [LAD] Kim did the switch to Linux

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 07 2009 - 12:02:39 EEST

David Robillard:
>> Let's just fix the interaction between pulse and jack and be done with
>> it.
>
> That is one solution.
>
>> It's harmful to suggest that it things are less than they are
>
> Read the user posts in this thread, or ths post that started it. Things
> are as they are. Pretending everything is fantastic when it's not
> doesn't help either.

Well, in my opinion, everything really is fantastic right now.
Pulseaudio interacts perfectly with jack, pulseaudio doesn't screw
up jack in any way (as far as I can remember observing), and
all programs using jack, alsa or pulseaudio make sound, simultaneously,
without any notable latencies issues with alsa programs. Maybe
I was lucky, and I'm probably not a newbie either, but at least
I'm not _pretending_ everything is fantastic: it really is.

A person coming directly from win/mac probably wouldn't have
succeeded though, since jack needed to be configured and
I had to manually install the pulseaudio jack sink, edit
various files in /etc/, plus perhaps doing other stuff
I don't remember anymore.