Re: [LAD] linux audio standards base?

From: Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 08 2009 - 03:32:20 EEST

On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 10:50 -0400, Sean Corbett wrote:
> Of course it would be a voluntary
> standards base, and every developer / distro team can still do
> whatever they like, so that innovation can continue... but as
> protocols/interfaces/frameworks/whatever are developed and show their
> merit, they can be included in the standards base, and
> old/deprecated/redundant things removed, ...

You are on your way to define a moving target rather than a standard
here. A standard is more like the "qwerty" layout which you can love or
hate, the point being that the keys ain't moving around from one season
to another.

[Mmm ... TCP/IP networking might have been a better example.]

That being said, what are the points that a distro must consider to be
truely catering for sound. What are the targets for starters?

* Entertainment: Everybody will vote for this, piratebayed or not. This
is what Pulse is doing well if I have understood previous discussions.

* Entertainment production: Perhaps only 10% of the population will find
this important, though 10% is still a million Linux users or so. This is
what Jack is aimed at and works as advocated IFF you have an RT-kernel,
else you are pretty much fried ...
--> Should an RT-kernel be marked as a dependency for Jack? I would say
so.

* Serious Gaming: I have no idea what the status of this point might be
these days.

* Other?