Re: [LAD] Impro-Visor created on sourceforge

From: Raymond Martin <laseray@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 08 2009 - 21:08:30 EEST

On Saturday 08 August 2009 13:25:09 you wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 12:24 PM, Raymond Martin<laseray@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > This is just like the fact that there is no fork at present.
>
> Raymond, I notice that your binary distribution of Impro-Visor lacks a
> copyright note identifying the authors -- the README could be taken to
> imply that you are the author, although I realise you didn't intend
> that. Can you fix this, please?

Of course I did not intend to specify anything other than the document
itself was by me, but on the other hand nothing is being done wrong
by leaving out attributions from a readme.

> I know this sort of thing is easily overlooked, but it's probably
> illegal and certainly unethical to redistribute someone else's work
> without attribution (a basic necessity of copyright which the GPL
> doesn't disclaim).

No it is not illegal at all. The only things required are those in the GPL,
nothing else matters. If the GPL does not claim that you need to specify
attribution in some extra documentation then you do not. If you write
documentation to go with the application then that comes under your
copyright/GPL license, etc.

And it is certainly not unethical either, that is a judgement call or a bias
that differs amongst different people.

If someone takes my work, under GPL or other FOSS license, I will consider
everything to be 100% okay as long as they put the proper copyrights in
where only the license says they are needed. The copyrights are the
attribution and that is all that is necessary.

I encourage you to take my work and do as I indicate, I will never make
a remark unless a proper copyright is missing for the specific portion of the
code that contains my work (you can quote me on that). That is all that is
required.

Anything above and beyond proper copyrights in the code is irrelevant.

BTY, the binary does have the copyrights for the original authors in the About
dialog.

Raymond

P.S. I even mention in the readme that it is not the original version
(exactly) and that it is completely legal. I never claim copyright to
have some copyright on the program.