Re: [LAD] Impro-Visor created on sourceforge

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Sat Aug 08 2009 - 21:18:08 EEST

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Raymond Martin<laseray@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Saturday 08 August 2009 13:25:09 you wrote:
>> I know this sort of thing is easily overlooked, but it's probably
>> illegal and certainly unethical to redistribute someone else's work
>> without attribution (a basic necessity of copyright which the GPL
>> doesn't disclaim).
>
> No it is not illegal at all. The only things required are those in the GPL,
> nothing else matters.

Copyright law does; after all, that's the only thing that makes the
GPL work. But I'm happy to admit that I'm quite unclear on this
point, namely whether it's technically legal (even if offensively bad
form) to redistribute binaries of a GPL'd work without any of the
attribution that is required in redistributing the source code. I'd
be interested in any more information about this. (Preferably not
from you -- you've asserted too many wrong or disputable opinions as
if they were fact for me to give any credibility to anything you write
-- but other citations would be of interest.)

Chris