Re: [LAD] linux audio standards base?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 09 2009 - 23:20:50 EEST

On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 08:56:21PM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:

> > What single application - apart from Mozilla - really needs more than
> > 4GB?
>
> Ardour (by the way of the os) for the cache of the soundfiles.
> Linuxsampler (by the way of the os) to hold more of the samples data in
> memory.
> Aeolus (by the way of the os) to cache the generated samples.

Absolutely not true.

Aeolus takes around 120 MB of which 40 MB are shared (mostly X11).

My main machine at home has just 512 MB. I've used it to mix 24-track
Ardour sessions, it also runs Aeolus and Linuxsampler (and also both
together) without any problem.

Of course if you use a bloated desktop that probably wouldn't work.

Ciao,

--
FA
Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.